background

Saturday, September 10, 2011

Spins

I had a great opportunity the other day to practice some spin entries in a nice little Cessna.

(For those who don't know what they are, see here:

We didn't get into the fully developed spin, just about a 1/4 turn entry and then recovery.  All in all we loose about 1000 feet.

We took off, and while we were climbing and talking about the spins (I was a little nervous having never done one, and pilots hear all day long during training about how dangerous they are).  As we were approaching the safe altitude, I looked to my instructor and said "If you kill me, my wife is going to be furious."  He laughed and said "Mine too."

When he first showed me how to do the entry, I have to admit, it did make me reach up and grab the dash.  He then had me try one.  Natural reaction for me was to correct before the entry barely started, and I had to keep telling myself not to after I already started the recovery so the spin could develop.  It made me pretty queasy, which surprised me, but was definitely worth it!  I'm going to try and get up and do a full spin one of these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment