background

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Adventures in Haircutting!

So Josh has always gotten his haircut by his  mom, so as a rite of getting married I got the PRIVILEGE of cutting his hair.  I had watched my mother-in-law, Pam, cut Josh's hair a few times and then I tried with her supervision. As Josh's hair got longer and longer, I knew it was time to step up to the plate.

We went to the store and Josh selected the "perfect" hair clippers.  We got them home and opened them only to discover that they had been used and were missing the cape (you know that thing you wear, when you get your haircut, so hair doesn't get all over you).  So it was back to store.

30 minutes later we were back home and ready to try again.  By this point it was 10:30.

First, I had to cut the whole head to 1 1/4".  This went fairly well, other then having to stop, use my ruler, and check the length every 30 seconds to check my work.  Then I  cut the next layer at 3/4".  This was easier, but my line started a TIDGE uneven.  Don't worry I fixed it.  Finally I moved onto the bottom layer at 1/2".

By this time it was about 11:30 and I was ready to move onto the scissors.  Poor Josh was getting sore from sitting for so long and was covered in hair.  The so called "cape"was a tiny bit of plastic that wouldn't even cover a midget! Anyways, back to the hair.

So next I used the scissors to even everything out.  These were VERY helpful to even everything out.  As I was clipping away, one side of Josh's head looked a lot more bushy and just would not behave.  I clipped here and clipped there and eventually evened it out.

Then it was onto neck and ears.  This went by smoothly with no problems.  I took off the cape and admired my work.  Josh went to go shower and I was left to clean up SO MUCH HAIR (man does that boy have HAIR).  Not more than 5 minutes later did Josh get out of the shower and show me plenty of spots that I had missed or were uneven.

Finally, it was about midnight and IT WAS FINISHED!! I know I still need lots of practice, but I was very proud of my first attempt.


2 comments:

  1. This is a super valuable skill--save you $16 every 6 weeks! I wish that Mallory would give it a try. The best part about cutting guys' hair is that even if it's not super even or if it's flat out terrible, in a week or so, you can't even notice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very true! I'm glad Cam was adventurous.

    ReplyDelete